is the official medical student-run government of the Jacobs School of Medicine & Biomedical Sciences at the University at Buffalo. We are student-elected and are recognized as one of the seven main student governments recognized under SUNY UB.
Our main goal is to work toward the betterment of student life within the medical school community. We accomplish this by catering to the needs of the students, whether they be academic, social, or emotional.
Polity attains its goals by:
- Promoting more efficient communication within the School of Medicine by acting as liaisons between medical students and the faculty, staff, and administration.
- Actively participating in policy making and other decisions of the School of Medicine.
- Advocating for student interests.
- Accepting responsibility for the disbursement of funds, mainly received through Student Activity fees, to our 40+ clubs and organizations.
- Establishing criteria for, and providing the recognition of, student organizations within the School of Medicine.
- Coordinating other groups or committees, which represent the medical student body as a whole.
- Hosting events that encourage and bolster student camaraderie and morale.
Wondering what Polity is up to?
To find out what polity has been doing for medical students, you can access the meeting minutes sent out after each monthly meeting (click here for our minutes page). You may also follow us on Instagram!
Want to get involved?
Attend our monthly meetings – open to all medical students! Add your concerns, comments, suggestions, etc to our monthly meeting agenda prior to the day of the meeting. Elections for the official E-board are held in February and are open to current M1’s. Be on the lookout for an email in mid January!
Polity created its Constitution and By-Laws in the spring of 2004 to provide a framework and guidance for Polity leadership, both present and future. This contains detailed information on the procedures for conducting various aspects of Polity business. Other policy documents and forms can be found in the Polity Documents section. Any additional inquiries and questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.